What is Face Mask?
The Face mask is a tool, which is used for preventing the transmission of the illness. Masks may also be known as dental, laser, medical, isolation, procedure, or surgical masks. Face masks have loose-fitting which cover the mouth and nose and contain ear loops or bands or ties at the backside of the head. There are various brands, and they are available in different colours. It is vital to make use of a face mask accepted by the FDA.
Use of a Face Mask
Face masks assist in controlling the transmission of germs. When a person talks, sneezes or coughs, they may discharge very minute droplets into the atmosphere which can infect other people as well. If a person is sick, a face mask can lower the number of germs that the wearer produces and can save others from getting ill and unwell. A face mask is also able to save the wearer’s mouth and nose from splashes of body fluids.
When We Should Wear a Face Mask?
We should wear a face mask when we are ill with a sneezing or cough illness (fever may or may not be present) and we expect to be around others. The face mask will assist in saving them from catching our sickness. Healthcare settings have some particular rules about the situations when we should wear face masks.
How to Put On and Take Off a Face Mask
Disposable face masks need to be utilized for one time, and then they should be thrown in the trash. You should also take off and replace face masks when they get moisturized.
We should always obey product instructions on its usage and take out the packing of the mask, and techniques for how to wear and remove a face mask. In case instructions for wearing and removing the mask are not present, just obey the steps discussed as follows:
How to Wear a Face Mask
1. Make your hands clean using water and soap or hand sanitizer before you touch the face mask.
2. Take out a face mask from the packet and ensure there are no holes or tears in any side of the face mask.
3. Check and decide which side of the face mask is the top side. The side of the face mask which has a firm bendable edge is the top side and is expected to form to the shape of your nose.
4. Check and decide which side of the face mask is the front side. Generally, the coloured side of the face mask is the front side which should face away from you, whereas the white side should touch your face.
5. Follow these instructions for the kind of mask you are making use of:
- Face mask having ear loops: Just hold the face mask by its ear loops. Fix the loops around both the ears.
- Face mask having ties: Take the face mask to the level of your nose and put the ties over your head and secure using a bow.
- Face mask having bands: First, hold the face mask in your hands in such a way that the top or nosepiece of the face mask is at your fingertips, permitting the headbands to suspend freely beneath your hands. Take the face mask to the level of your nose and pull the top strap of the face mask over your head to enable it to rest over the crown of your head. Now, pull the bottom strap of the face mask over your head to enable it to rest at the nape of your neck.
6. Mould the firm edge of the face mask to your nose shape.
7. In case you apply a face mask having ties, take the bottom ties in your hands, and secure using a bow at the nape of your neck.
8. Now, pull the bottom of the face mask over your chin and mouth.
Removing a Face Mask
- First, clean your hands using water and soap or hand sanitizer before you touch the face mask. Never touch the front side of the face mask. The front side of the face mask is dirty and contaminated. We should touch only the ear loops, band or ties. Obey the instructions given below for the kind of mask you have to use.
- Face mask having ear loops: Hold the ear loops at both sides and softly lift and take off the face mask.
- Face mask having ties: First, untie the bottom bow and then the top bow. Now, take the face mask away from you because the ties are released now.
- Face mask using bands: First, lift the bottom strap over your head. Now, pull the top strap over your head.
- Throw the face mask in the dustbin. Make your hands clean with the help of water and soap or hand sanitizer.