Being underweight is as bad for your health as being overweight. Furthermore, a number of people who are not clinically underweight are still desirous of gaining some muscle and weight. The main principles are similar whether you simply want to gain muscle weight or are clinically underweight.
This article discusses a simple approach of how to increase the weight or how to become fatter in a healthy manner.
It is very essential to do it the right way if you want to gain weight. Consuming donuts and soda may help you gain weight, but it may spoil your health simultaneously. If you are thin, you will want to get a balanced volume of muscle mass and subcutaneous fat instead of loads of harmful belly fat. Hence, it is essential to consume healthy foods and live a healthy lifestyle.
Here are several impact-full gaining weight tips to increase weight in a short time, without ruining your health.
The most vital thing you can apply to be fatter is to form a calorie surplus, which means eating more calories than the body requirements. You can measure your calorie requirements be applying this calorie calculator.
- As per calculator, aim for 300–500 calories more than your body burns every day if you want to increase your weight steadily and slowly.
- Aim for 700–1,000 calories above your maintenance level if you are interested in gaining weight fast.
Remember that calorie calculators deliver only estimations. Your requirements may differ by several hundred calories per day.
For the rest of your life, you do not need to calculate calories, but doing it for the first few days or weeks is helpful to get an estimate of how many calories you are consuming.
Consume Protein in Abundance
Protein is the most important nutrient to increase weight. Muscle is formed of protein. Without protein, most of the extra calories may result in body fat. Studies indicate that during overfeeding, a high-protein diet leads to many extra calories to be converted into muscle. But, protein is also highly filling, which may lower your appetite considerably. This makes it difficult to get insufficient calories.
If you want to increase weight, try for 0.7–1 gram of protein per pound of body weight (1.5–2.2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight). If your calorie consumption is very high, you can even go above that.
Meats, eggs, fish, many dairy products, nuts, legumes, and others are high-protein foods. Protein supplements such as whey protein may also be helpful if you want to add sufficient protein in your meal.
When trying to lose weight, many people try curbing carbohydrates or fat. If your aim is to increase weight, this is not a good idea, since this will make it difficult to get inadequate calories. Instead, consume high carbs and high-fat foods abundantly. The best idea is to consume protein, fat, and carbohydrates adequately at each meal to become fatter.
Doing intermittent fasting is also a bad idea. This is helpful in weight loss and health improvement, but it can make it harder to consume sufficient calories for gaining weight. Ensure eating at least three meals a day, and whenever possible, try adding in energy-dense snacks.
It is vital to consume mostly whole, single-ingredient foods. The concern is that such foods are more filling than processed junk foods, which makes it harder to obtain insufficient calories.
Using spices, sauces and condiments abundantly can aid in this. The tastier the food is, the easier it is to consume lots of it. In addition, prioritize energy-dense foods as much as you can. These foods consist of many calories relative to their weight.
Some energy-dense foods that are good for gaining weight are as follows:
- Nuts: Almonds, macadamia nuts, peanuts, walnuts, and others.
- Dried fruit: Raisins, prunes, dates, etc.
- High-fat dairy: Whole milk, cheese, cream, full-fat yogurt.
- Fats and oils: avocado oil and extra virgin olive oil.
- Grains: Whole grains such as oats and brown rice.
- Meat: Chicken, pork, lamb, beef, etc.
- Tubers: Potatoes, yams, and sweet potatoes.
- Dark chocolate, coconut milk, granola, trail mixes, avocados, peanut butter.
A number of these foods are so much filling, and at times you may need to push yourself to continue eating even if you are feeling full.
If you want to increase weight, it may be a nice idea to escape consuming a ton of vegetables. It leaves less room for foods that are energy-dense. Consuming a whole fruit is fine, but try adding fruit that does not need too much chewing, e.g., bananas.
It is crucial to lifting weights to ensure that the additional calories reach your muscles rather than just your fat cells. Join a gym and lift 2–4 times a week. Lift heavyweights, and make efforts to raise the volume and weights over time.
Consider appointing a competent personal trainer to aid you to get started, if you are totally out of shape or a newcomer to training. If you have skeletal or any other medical issue, you may also consult with a doctor.
For now, it is perhaps best to take it easy on the cardio. Instead, concentrate on the weights. To improve well-being and fitness, doing some cardio is fine, but don’t do so much that you burn all the surplus calories you are eating.
Linking high-calorie consumption with heavy strength training is the most vital factor to increase weight and become fatter. That being said, there are some other approaches to gain weight even faster.10 more tips to gain weight are as follows:
- Never drink water before eating foods. This will fill your stomach, making it harder to gain adequate calories.
- Eat food more often. Slot in an extra meal or snack whenever possible, e.g., before bed.
- Consume milk. To quench thirst, drinking whole milk is an effective approach to obtain more calories and high-quality protein.
- You can try weight gainer shakes. In case you are actually struggling to gain weight, you should use weight gainer shakes. These are very rich in protein, carbohydrates, and calories.
- Utilize large plates. Certainly use bigger plates if you are trying to obtain more calories, as smaller plates result in people automatically eating less food.
- Include cream for your coffee. This is an easy method of adding more calories.
- Consume creatine. Creatine monohydrate, the muscle building supplement, can assist you in gaining some pounds in muscle weight.
- Get quality sleep. Proper sleep is very significant for muscle growth.
- Consume your protein first and then eat vegetables. In case you have a blend of foods on your plate, consume the protein-rich and calorie-dense foods first. Eat the vegetables at last.
Do not smoke, and quit if you do. Smokers are likely to weigh less than non-smokers. Quitting smoking results in weight gain.